Spartacus vs. Jesus
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
2012-07-02 23:15:41 UTC
Spartacus was a symbol of rebellion. Jesus was a symbol of rebellion.
One chose the sword and the other chose the word. Blah, blah, blah,
and was crucified.

Spartacus rebellion ended in the crucifixion of thousands but they put
up a fight.

Who would you follow? Just wondering.

The First Reaper
2012-07-02 23:48:37 UTC
On Jul 2, 7:15 pm, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Spartacus was a symbol of rebellion. Jesus was a symbol of rebellion.
One chose the sword and the other chose the word. Blah, blah, blah,
and was crucified.
Spartacus rebellion ended in the crucifixion of thousands but they put
up a fight.
Who would you follow? Just wondering.
After seeing Spartacus: Vengeance I'd gladly join with Spartacus if
only to see Crixus reuinited with Nivea and also dealing out justice
to Spartacus' nemesis who took his wife from him. But after that was
done, not sure if I'd decide to carry it further and rebel against
Rome. I would have called it quits at that point and judging from the
final season's title War of the Damned, I think I'd have made the
right choice.

As far as following Jesus goes, that's more of an inner journey than
an outward gathering of forces in an army like Spartacus.
2012-07-03 00:02:53 UTC
Post by The First Reaper
[...]
They both fought Rome...

Who put a dent on it?
Lee Rudolph
2012-07-03 01:35:14 UTC
Post by The First Reaper
As far as following Jesus goes, that's more of an inner journey than
an outward gathering of forces in an army like Spartacus.
==begin massive copyright infringement in a good cause==

STAND UP FOR JUDAS
(Leon Rosselson)

The Romans were the masters when Jesus walked the land,
In Judea and in Galilee they ruled with an iron hand,
And the poor were sick with hunger
And the rich were clothed in splendour
And the rebels whipped and crucified hung rotting as a warning.
And Jesus knew the answer,
Said, Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, said, Love your enemies.
But Judas was a Zealot and he wanted to be free,
Resist, he said, The Romans' tyranny.
So stand up, stand up for Judas and the cause that Judas served,
It was Jesus who betrayed the poor with his word.

Jesus was a conjuror, miracles were his game,
And he fed the hungry thousands and they glorified his name.
He cured the lame and the lepers,
He calmed the wind and the weather,
And the wretched flocked to touch him so their troubles would be taken.
And Jesus knew the answer,
All you who labour, all you who suffer only believe in me.
But Judas sought a world where no one starved or begged for bread.
The poor are always with us, Jesus said.
So stand up, stand up for Judas and the cause that Judas served,
It was Jesus who betrayed the poor with his word.

Now Jesus brought division where none had been before,
Not the slaves against their masters but the poor against the poor,
Set son to rise up against father,
And brother to fight against brother,
For he that is not with me is against me, was his teaching.
Said Jesus, I am the answer,
You unbelievers shall burn forever, shall die in your sins.
Not sheep and goats, said Judas, but together we may dare
Shake off the chains of misery we share.
So stand up, stand up for Judas and the cause that Judas served,
It was Jesus who betrayed the poor with his word.

Jesus stood upon the mountain with a distance in his eyes:
I am the way, the life, he cried, the light that never dies,
So renounce all earthly treasures
And pray to your heavenly father,
And he pacified the hopeless with the hope of life eternal.
Said Jesus, I am the answer
And you who hunger only remember your reward's in Heaven.
So Jesus preached the other world but Judas wanted this,
And he betrayed his master with a kiss.
So stand up, stand up for Judas and the cause that Judas served,
It was Jesus who betrayed the poor with his word.

By sword and gun and crucifix Christ's gospel has been spread
And two thousand cruel years have shown the way that Jesus led,
The heretics burned and tortured,
The butchering, bloody crusaders,
The bombs and rockets sanctified that rain down death from heaven.
They followed Jesus, they knew the answer,
All non-believers must be believers or else be broken.
So put no trust in Saviours, Judas said, For everyone
Must be to his or her own self a sun.
So stand up, stand up for Judas and the cause that Judas served,
It was Jesus who betrayed the poor with his word.

==end==

Lee Rudolph (who heard Leon Rosselson sing this to an
otherwise rather unprepared audience in a church-basement
coffeeshop, some decades past, having been some decades
further past turned on to his music by a colleague who
had, decades yet further past, known him when she was
one of The Pennywhistlers; said colleague having *also*
invited me to quite a large concert hall, filled with
her fellow former campers from quite a leftwing, not to
say Red [in the sense it had before the fucking TV news
screwed around with a few centuries of iconicity, and
the fucking dumb American public let them do it], music
camp for New York kids [decades even further past!], to
hear Pete Singer sing, among other things,
The Internationale, for which his audience surely
should have been prepared but which far too many of
them seemed to take badly [hey, it may have been
hijacked by fucking thugs, but it's a grand song
with a grand lyric, which I often sing myself,
though never to a thronged hall...hey, maybe I'll
rip off a few bars of it at Wednesday's Independence
Day party across the river and through the woods])
liaM
2012-07-03 01:36:41 UTC
Post by Lee Rudolph
Leon Rosselson

Ned Ludd
2012-07-03 02:14:58 UTC
Post by liaM
Post by Lee Rudolph
Leon Rosselson
http://youtu.be/EKR6xj-6RjA
Ha. Beat me to it. Catchy!

Ned
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
2012-07-03 04:17:00 UTC
Post by mind
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Spartacus was a symbol of rebellion. Jesus was a symbol of rebellion.
One chose the sword and the other chose the word. Blah, blah, blah,
and was crucified.
Spartacus rebellion ended in the crucifixion of thousands but they put
up a fight.
Who would you follow?
Both, and mostly neither.
There are unusually more than two
or three or four sides to a situation.
You probably you would join the party I'd join, I mean the Barbarians.
I bet you they had a blast sacking Rome, taking revenge for all evils
committed by Rome, and then running away with the GOLD. That was a
perfect blow.

Someone in the crowd must have cried, "Down with Rome!" But time
erases everything and now Rome is a bustling city, rather friendly I'd
say. Lots of scooters and people roaming free. Julia Roberts found
happiness there on her search for the "perfect place" in "Eat, Love
and Pray." She was pretty disappointed in India, where she witnessed a
sort of "Buddhist industry." I may be wrong but I read that much into
the movie. Of course, it was another stupid movie made to make money.
What a rip off!
mind
2012-07-03 00:12:23 UTC
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Spartacus was a symbol of rebellion. Jesus was a symbol of rebellion.
One chose the sword and the other chose the word. Blah, blah, blah,
and was crucified.
Spartacus rebellion ended in the crucifixion of thousands but they put
up a fight.
Who would you follow?
Both, and mostly neither.

There are unusually more than two
or three or four sides to a situation.
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Just wondering.
Neural networks within
my brain cover many paths at once.
They tend to be non-local in their parameters.

Sorta
Kinda
All over
The map
Ever-wear
And n o w h e r e
At once

Historically, followers of Jesus were so convinced
of his message, the reality, of which he spoke
that they were persecuted for hundreds of years.

Many of the earliest disciples were killed. Beheaded,
crucified upside down, killed by the sword, etc.
Yet they did not deny their faith.

Those appear to be facts.

Imagine if you experienced miracles.

If you saw the guy appear and disappear
into and out of a room with a locked door.
If you touched and felt his hands
where the nails pierced.

It might give you paws for cause.

I would not be so bold I don't think
to follow either of those two hero dudes.

Unless and until my experiences with reality
convinced me though and through that this body
really is akin to clothes, that my soul would, actually
survive the physical death of its body-shell;
under threat of execution, I'd probably choose
to live another day, to say what needed to be said,
and buy survival time here on the earth-plane.

I'd prollly wimp out.
Never know tho.
Cud get inspired
at the last momento.

Among my neural nets
are those in which everyone is Spartacus,
as everyone is Krishna, everyone has his or
her inner Self which is not other than
the Spirit of both you mention
and ask about.

The Word appears to have lasted
alongside the Sword in many ways.

Lao Tzu left the arena.
Zhuangzi preferred mud.

The Sage brushes
death aside without a hair
giving hoot or ass of rat.

You might have a brush
with SUVs or dog-shit.
Yuck.

Operators are standing by. Now. New.
Sage Brushes are not sold in stores.
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

What a rip off!
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
2012-07-03 13:07:14 UTC
On Jul 3, 12:23 pm, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Spartacus was a symbol of rebellion. Jesus was a symbol of rebellion.
One chose the sword and the other chose the word. Blah, blah, blah,
and was crucified.
Spartacus rebellion ended in the crucifixion of thousands but they put
up a fight.
Who would you follow? Just wondering.
The trouble is in "follow".....
Why would sane people follow ancient people, whether good or bad?
We modern people do have a set of our own guidelines or standard.
Jesus was a stupid character meant to con money. Look at the words of
his disciples in the bible, atwww.evilbible.com, they were evil, to
say the least.
Wait, wait, we may "follow" Socrates or Epicurus. But, of course, our
experience is so much richer now. We can not claim exactly that "I
only know I know nothing!"

For one, we have tablets and Google. And we know religion only brought
us darkness when it was in power (the Dark Ages). But we should even
question the greatest philosophers of this time --including me.

But that's only my humble opinion.
mind
2012-07-03 13:37:32 UTC
Post by mind
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Spartacus was a symbol of rebellion. Jesus was a symbol of rebellion.
One chose the sword and the other chose the word. Blah, blah, blah,
and was crucified.
Spartacus rebellion ended in the crucifixion of thousands but they put
up a fight.
Who would you follow?
Both, and mostly neither.
There are unusually more than two
or three or four sides to a situation.
You probably you would join the party I'd join, I mean the Barbarians.
While it is possible, given how mobs form,
I would probably leave town. Mom taught her kids
to walk away from fights.

Lao Tzu leaves the empire.

There are rhetorical sayings
which go along the lines of,

'Do you think you can change the world?
Do you think you can rule it? Lao Tzu did not
think that was the Way.

Being still.
Allowing mud to settle.
That is a Way to get clarity.

Continually stirring
the water remains cloudy, unclear.

In trying to fix things, the things get lost
in the shuffle and the scuffle.

To fight for peace is to fight.

Fighting might with might might work.
That way is an unpeaceful way
to try to get to peace.

To be at peace is to be.
When one simply is, there one is.

To be where one may choose to be.
When one chooses to not fight.

To try to bend the world to one's desire
is like barking up a huge tree that won't bend.

Being flexible in one's approach, yielding the right
may find one left, in the peace one desires.'
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
I bet you they had a blast sacking Rome, taking revenge for all evils
committed by Rome, and then running away with the GOLD. That was a
perfect blow.
The differences between an SUV and a bike
are very small in comparison to how they are the same.

There tends to be a cost.
The costs tend to keep one from being free.

You strain at gnats
while food you don't like eats at you.

Some people like metal that shines.
It could be gold, or silver, or chrome.
People like what they like.

Some people like to fight.
They may say they are not violent but are.
Some go out of their way to pick
roads where fights are to be found.

Then they complain and whine
when they get what they asked for
without realizing it.
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Someone in the crowd must have cried, "Down with Rome!" But time
erases everything and now Rome is a bustling city, rather friendly I'd
say. Lots of scooters and people roaming free.
Sometimes what appears to be most insane
can be the most free. Without restrain, with no lanes
people are never out of one.

A problem with rules
is that people expect others to follow them.
Without rules there is no breakage.
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Julia Roberts found
happiness there on her search for the "perfect place" in "Eat, Love
and Pray." She was pretty disappointed in India, where she witnessed a
sort of "Buddhist industry." I may be wrong but I read that much into
the movie. Of course, it was another stupid movie made to make money.
What a rip off!
I saw it but don't remember much of it.

Making something to make money is funny.
It might be doomed to be counter fit.

If you asked her what she was making,
she might have said, a movie.

If you asked her why,
she might say, cuz she likes playing
parts and characters.

It isn't about the money.
She has more than enough.

When you do what you do with a whole heart
you might not be divided against yourself
or the rest of the world.

The you can leave the world
to rest in peace. The you vanishes.
There is no you to begin with.
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
2012-07-04 05:02:28 UTC
On Jul 3, 12:25 am, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
Post by mind
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Spartacus was a symbol of rebellion. Jesus was a symbol of rebellion.
One chose the sword and the other chose the word. Blah, blah, blah,
and was crucified.
Spartacus rebellion ended in the crucifixion of thousands but they put
up a fight.
Who would you follow?
Both, and mostly neither.
There are unusually more than two
or three or four sides to a situation.
You probably would join the party I'd join, I mean the Barbarians. I
bet you they had a blast sacking Rome, taking revenge for all evils
committed by Rome, and then running away with the GOLD. That was a
perfect blow.
Someone in the crowd must have cried, "Down with Rome!" But time
erases everything and now Rome is a bustling city, rather friendly I'd
say. Lots of scooters and people roaming free. Julia Roberts found
happiness there on her search for the "perfect place" in "Eat, Love
and Pray." She was pretty disappointed in India, where she witnessed a
sort of "Buddhist industry." I may be wrong but I read that much into
the movie. Of course, it was another stupid movie made to make money.
What a rip off!
Sorry, the word "pray" in the movie should have given me a hint it was
an stupid movie. But we saw Julia Roberts riding a bike and we assumed
she was smart.
cyclist
2012-07-04 05:10:16 UTC
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Julia Roberts found
happiness there on her search for the "perfect place" in "Eat, Love
and Pray." She was pretty disappointed in India, where she witnessed a
sort of "Buddhist industry." I may be wrong but I read that much into
the movie. Of course, it was another stupid movie made to make money.
What a rip off!
Sorry, the word "pray" in the movie should have given me a hint it was
an stupid movie. But we saw Julia Roberts riding a bike and we assumed
she was smart.
Just because someone rides a bike
does not mean anything in particular,
particularly that one is smart, or wise.
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
2012-07-04 13:25:22 UTC
Post by cyclist
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
 Julia Roberts found
happiness there on her search for the "perfect place" in "Eat, Love
and Pray." She was pretty disappointed in India, where she witnessed a
sort of "Buddhist industry." I may be wrong but I read that much into
the movie. Of course, it was another stupid movie made to make money.
What a rip off!
Sorry, the word "pray" in the movie should have given me a hint it was
an stupid movie. But we saw Julia Roberts riding a bike and we assumed
she was smart.
Just because someone rides a bike
does not mean anything in particular,
particularly that one is smart, or wise.
And you call yourself "smart"?

Common, you are not a cyclist or you are not smart.
cyclist
2012-07-04 13:37:44 UTC
Post by cyclist
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
 Julia Roberts found
happiness there on her search for the "perfect place" in "Eat, Love
and Pray." She was pretty disappointed in India, where she witnessed a
sort of "Buddhist industry." I may be wrong but I read that much into
the movie. Of course, it was another stupid movie made to make money.
What a rip off!
Sorry, the word "pray" in the movie should have given me a hint it was
an stupid movie. But we saw Julia Roberts riding a bike and we assumed
she was smart.
Just because someone rides a bike
does not mean anything in particular,
particularly that one is smart, or wise.
And you call yourself "smart"?
No.
That boast was not made.
Nor was wisdom claimed to be
among my many attributes.
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Common, you are not a cyclist or you are not smart.
I am a cyclist
in that my moods go round.

I am not smart
in that if I were smart
I would not feed trolls.

Feeding trolls is stupid.
It's almsot as idiotic as being a troll.
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
2012-07-04 14:02:39 UTC
On Jul 4, 1:57 am, "Fidem Turbare, the non-existent atheist goddess"
On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 22:01:00 -0700 (PDT)
Post by mind
[...]
It's okay -- your optimism probably just got the better of you.
Exactly, advertising does tricks to your mind.
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
But we saw Julia Roberts riding a bike and we assumed she was smart.
You just presented a striking resemblance to US elections.
Oh, the elections, yes that's a great pastime.

The toothless man (wise man) tells her to go to Bali so she packs
everything and go. Happiness is an American pursuit that is seldom
found. The rat race stands on the way. But you may pray for it, right?

Sorry for my review. Two thumbs down.
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
2012-07-04 14:24:48 UTC
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Spartacus was a symbol of rebellion. Jesus was a symbol of rebellion.
One chose the sword and the other chose the word. Blah, blah, blah,
and was crucified.
Spartacus rebellion ended in the crucifixion of thousands but they put
up a fight.
Who would you follow? Just wondering.
Just a hint - Spartacus was crucified too.
Only in the Hollywood movie.
According to Roman chroniclers, Spartacus was killed in one of the final
battles.
Spartacus actually choked on an apple.

I'm sorry for those who expected something heroic. Jesus is the real
hero for NOT running from the Romans.
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Sorry, I feed myself. You just make me look smart.
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
2012-07-04 15:51:30 UTC
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Spartacus was a symbol of rebellion. Jesus was a symbol of rebellion.
One chose the sword and the other chose the word. Blah, blah, blah,
and was crucified.
Spartacus rebellion ended in the crucifixion of thousands but they put
up a fight.
Who would you follow? Just wondering.
Just a hint - Spartacus was crucified too.
Only in the Hollywood movie.
According to Roman chroniclers, Spartacus was killed in one of the final
battles.
Tell that to the Tibetean Monkey...
Actually, no-one knows how he died (hence the "I'm Spartacus" bit in
the film). Its anyone's guess.
Jesus said, "I'm the King of the Jews"... but he wasn't. And they
crucified him for that.

Did the Romans actively prosecute impostors? It that what the Roman
Law, which inspired modern law, has to offer?

I think it's all a farce.
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
2012-07-06 23:16:13 UTC
On Jul 4, 11:50 am, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
[...]
Elvis was the King. His first job was "shabbos goy"
for a nice orthodox jewish family.
Elvis rocked the world and Jesus rocked the world. But it doesn't mean
that's any better than before. Actually the world was worse after
Jesus.

And Elvis made it a better world. But that's only my humble opinion.
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
2012-07-07 00:26:37 UTC
On Jul 6, 11:37 am, "Fidem Turbare, the non-existent atheist goddess"
On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 07:34:47 -0700 (PDT)
"TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
On Jul 4, 11:50 am, "TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
[snip]
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Post by TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher
Jesus said, "I'm the King of the Jews"... but he wasn't. And they
crucified him for that.
Did the Romans actively prosecute impostors? It that what the
Roman Law, which inspired modern law, has to offer?
I think it's all a farce.
Elvis was the King. His first job was "shabbos goy"
for a nice orthodox jewish family.
Elvis rocked the world and Jesus rocked the world. But it doesn't mean
that's any better than before. Actually the world was worse after
Jesus.
And Elvis made it a better world. But that's only my humble opinion.
Elvis is, to many, the new Jesus. He is the replacement who is more
rational, and after a few hundred years it will likely be said that he
was resurrected after being crucified cruelly on a giant electric
guitar and forced to take drugs.
There will always be kooky people who are just weird enough to write a
giant, poorly organized story book about this.
True, and notice they never died. THEY ARE BOTH ALIVE!

But I stay with Elvis.

Tell you what, I stay with Chuck Berry...